EXCLUSIVE: England cricketers SMOKE with big cats from ECB to pocket £ 2.1million bonus for handing over Cent’s squad after suffering a pay cut during the summer Covid crisis last and 62 jobs were cut last year
- Senior ECB officials to split £ 2.1million bonus pot due to hundred
- Officials see the bonus as a reward for delivering the competition
- England cricketers ‘very unimpressed’ by ECB move
- Players suffered 15% pay cut due to Covid, ECB cut 62 jobs
England cricketers are angry that senior ECB officials are set to share a £ 2.1million bonus, with one player saying Sportsmail that he and his teammates are “very unimpressed” by the decision.
The money, which will be split between chief executive Tom Harrison and a handful of other executives, is part of the board’s “long-term incentive plan” (LTIP), described as a “retention tool for key executives” , but considered by many as a reward for the implementation of the Cent.
It has been less than a year since England’s central contract players suffered a 15% pay cut in the financial restructuring of the board caused by the pandemic. The ECB also cut its own workforce by 20 percent, which equates to 62 jobs.
ECB officials expected to share £ 2.1million bonus for delivery of the first cent
England cricketers are said to be ‘very unimpressed’ by call for bonus
Speaking at the time, Harrison said: “The whole cricket network has come together to help us meet this challenge so far and overcoming it will mean continuing to make tough decisions.”
A former ECB contract worker, who provided maternity coverage for a post that has since been made redundant, tweeted that the news had made him “pretty sick”. He added: “Absolutely ashamed.”
On the eve of the crucial third test against India at Headingley, concern among England players is said to center on the gap between their own financial sacrifices and the rewards of the leaders in an era of widespread belt tightening.
England central contract players suffered a 15% pay cut during the Covid crisis
ECB President Ian Watmore argued that key board executives were “among the first to commit to significant and voluntary cuts to wages and incentives in 2020” – although this has happened shortly after Harrison got a 17% pay raise in the 2018-19 fiscal year. year, when he was paid a total of £ 719,175.
There is also some skepticism as to why LTIP was introduced in 2017.
A county executive who participated in discussions with the ECB said Sportsmail: “There was always this pot when LTIP was first introduced three years ago, and everyone knew it was all to do with the Hundred.
“It was because it was causing a lot of problems within the ECB as to who was included in LTIP and who was not.
ECB President Ian Watmore argued that members of the ECB’s board had also suffered a pay cut.
“We wanted them to be fairer in the way they promoted all of the formats of the game, and their only focus was on the Hundred, in terms of getting the best location in the summer, all of the marketing budget – they have parked everything in this.
“The problem with the county game at large is that people were promised big bonuses to put the Hundreds first at the expense of everything else. As a result, you get one-eyed decision making.
Nottinghamshire, meanwhile, hope to draw a crowd of more than 14,000 to Trent Bridge for Wednesday’s T20 Blast quarter-final against Hampshire.
The ECB also cut its own workforce by 20% due to Covid, which equates to 62 jobs
Over the Hundred, the same site drew an average crowd of 12,585 for the Trent Rockets’ four home games, with the figure dropping to 12,019 after free tickets are factored in (based on the claim by the ECB that about 4.5% of all Cent notes were donated one way).
For Wednesday’s Blast game, 125 tickets were made free – 75 for Notts players and 50 for Hants.
In Tuesday night’s quarter-final at Riverside, Sussex beat Yorkshire by five wickets with two balls to spare.
Yorkshire’s 177 for seven seemed to be enough, but a late flurry from Rashid Khan (27th) saw Sussex return home.