FORT WORTH, Texas— The No. 19 men’s golf team from Texas shot a two-round total of 564 over par (284-280) on Monday to rest in a tie for seventh place in the team standings after opening day at the Ben Hogan Collegiate Invitation to the Colonial Country Club. First-year student Christian Maas posted a total of 36 holes of 3 under par 137 (70-67) and is tied for seventh in the individual standings.
The 16-team field at the Ben Hogan Collegiate Invitational includes 13 teams that are ranked in the latest Bushnell/Golfweek Division I Coaches Poll (Sept. 30). The No. 13 North Carolina holds the team lead from 36 holes with a two-round total of 10-under par 550 (278-272). No. 3 Stanford is second at 6-under 554 (281-273), while No. 6 Arizona State is third at 3-under 557 (285-272).
Georgia Tech’s Bartley Forrester holds the 36-hole individual lead at 6-under 134 (69-65). Stanford’s Michael Thorbjornsen is second at 5-under 135, and four golfers are tied for third at 4-under 136.
The Ben Hogan Collegiate Invitational ends with 18 holes on Tuesday, October 4. Texas will be paired with Vanderbilt, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech for Tuesday’s final round, and tee times begin at 8 a.m. on the 1st tee.
- First-year student Christian Maas had a 36-hole score of 3-under par 137 (70-67) and is tied for seventh in the individual standings. His 3-under 67 in Monday’s second round marked a college record. Maas opened his second round with a bogey on the 18th hole, but bounced back to record five birdies and nine pars over the next 14 holes to come in at 4 under on his round. He bogeyed on hole 15 and closed with a pair of pars to finish at 3 under.
- Senior Mason Nome posted a total of two rounds of 3 over par 143 (73-70) and is tied for 34th. In his afternoon round, Nome had three birdies against three bogeys for par 70.
- Senior Travis Vick recorded a 36-hole score of 3 over par 143 (72-71) and is tied for 34th. Vick recorded six birdies in his afternoon round of 1 over par 71.
- First-year student Keaton Vo shot a total of two 4-round par 144s (72-72) and is tied for 42nd. Vo had a pair of birdies against four bogeys on his morning round of 2 over the par-72. His afternoon was marked by an eagle on the par-5 first hole.
- Second year Alexander González had a 36-hole score of 6 par 146 (70-76). Gonzalez collected a pair of birdies against a pair of bogeys in his morning round of 70 pairs.